UPDATED at 12:30pm Israel time — “Keep your eyes on Turkey — it’s rapidly emerging as anti-American, anti-Western, anti-Israel Islamist dictatorship.”
Readers of this blog may recall that line from a May 12, 2016 column.
Tonight, all eyes are in fact on this Middle Eastern country as dramatic developments unfold. Reports are coming in fast and furious in the last hour that a military coup is underway, apparently to bring down the increasingly dangerous Islamist government.
- Troops and tanks are moving to seize control of the capital city of Ankara, as well as the commercial and tourism capital of Istanbul.
- Fighter jets are reportedly in the air. Military officials say they are moving quickly to wrest control the entire country.
- All flights in and out of the country have been cancelled.
- The military has seized control of the TV and radio stations.
Many questions are being raised.
- Where exactly is Turkish President Recip Erdogan at this hour?…
View original post 754 more words