I am so tired of being discriminated against because of epilepsy disorder. People do not understand what they think they understand, not even my parents. I tend to hold back my disorder from people even employers because I am afraid they will find a way to get rid of me because of my disorder. It has seemed every job I have lost has to do with my epilepsy because I had one at work, I am not up to par for them, or because I tell them and they just cannot comprehend what it can do to us.
I am tired of holding it back and not telling up front. It is like trying to be someone I am not. I hope people will be less judgemental of me knowing I have a disability that causes my shortcomings. I am who I am because God made me.
One thing I learned a long time ago was to be myself. Do not let others judge you for who you are and make you be who you are not. God gave us certain qualities that set our personality to make us who He wants us to be. It is when we do not accept who He wants to be and adjust ourselves to society, culture, religions, cults, and illogical behaviors is when we make ourselves.
November is #EpilepsyAwareness Month
November is #EpilepsyAwareness month. I have never been so open about my disability I am going to try to post past experience and what I have learned from my disability all month. I missed yesterday but will try to backdate one.
I want to make everyone aware of what to do when someone is having a seizure. I know it can be creepy I have seen it and have experienced it multiple times. Do not freak out and follow these simple instructions and save a life:
The Three Ss
- STAY with the person and start timing the seizure. Remain calm and check for medical ID.
- Keep the person SAFE. Move or guide away from harmful objects.
- Turn the person onto their SIDE if they are not awake and aware. Don’t block airway, put something small and soft under the head, loosen tight clothes around neck.
- Do NOT put anything in their mouth. Don’t give water, pills or food until the person is awake.
- Do NOT restrain.
- STAY with them until they are awake and alert after the seizure. Most seizures end in a few minutes.
When to Call 911
- Seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes
- Repeated seizures
- Difficulty breathing
- Seizure occurs in water
- Person is injured, pregnant, or sick
- Person does not return to their usual state
- First time seizure
There are many types of seizures which I will get to latter. One seizure that I have had is get up and walking around. I did this one when I worked at Burger King a long time ago. My co-workers and manager did the right thing. They didn’t withstrain me, but they blocked me to keep me away from harmful items, like the fryer. My coworker told me I tried to throw myself in the fryer and he had to hold me back by pushing me. I do not remember much from that event except that conversation it has stuck with me.
Be Fair to All Who are Disabled
Disabilities like epilepsy, attention deficit disorder, schizophrenia, agoraphobia, depression, and more cannot be seen. Do not judge others because they are different than the average person. It is more than likely they have a disability and are having a tough life or are just starting out. Kindness goes a long way. If everyone is kind one to another then we would have a peaceful world.
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
- Epilepsy Foundation. (2019). National Epilepsy Awareness Month. [online] Available at: https://www.epilepsy.com/make-difference/public-awareness/national-epilepsy-awareness-month [Accessed 2 Nov. 2019].
- Bible Gateway. (2019). Bible Gateway passage: Ephesians 4:32 – King James Version. [online] Available at: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians+4%3A32&version=KJV [Accessed 2 Nov. 2019].
- Complaining About A Problem Without Proposing A Solution Is Called Whining
- Supreme Court sides with Philadelphia Catholic agency in dispute over same-sex foster parents
- Stupid questions about epilepsy from people without epilepsy
- Coworker Opens Up About Tension Between Chauvin, Floyd | PEOPLE.com
- Woman charged with a felony for unreturned VHS tape from 22 years ago